-- his male American Bulldog and female Pit Bull had an accidental litter --
-- that, added to some family difficulties had him asking us for help.
So first, we started with the babies --
-- and at right is what we got --
-- four 6-week old little bundles of JOY!
As you can see, there's DEFINITELY a mix of AB and APBT in these loves --
-- what we LOVE about them is how SWEET they are --
-- and too, how STOCKY they are --
-- they're like baby rhinos -- !!
First, our happy baby Zazu --
-- who looks a LOT like her poppa, who you'll see in a second --
-- and next, Miss HALO --
-- who, is one of our prettiest babes EVER --
-- there's LOTS more to come on her -- !
That said, let's rollll on to the mugshots of these loves --
-- FIRST, though, let's get a look at their POPPA --
-- who is ALSO up for ADOPTION!!
As for poppa, his name is BRUNO --
-- and Tom wants SPBR to help adopt him out, too.
He writes --
"Bruno is a little over 2 yrs. We are giving him up because we have no business being dog owners, we (wife) purchased him on impulse. No one pays attention to him no walks no playtime nothing. Bruno deserves better. He is a very good boy, he would be better off with people who can give him lots of love and attention its just not fare to him. I hate to do this but it is the right thing to do. Thanks - Tom"
Next, the MUG-SHOTS!!
First, the girls...
born: July 2, 2012 adoptable: August 27, 2012 what comes with them: they're spayed, microchipped, wormed, vaccinated, socialized and LOVED
Next, the boys...
born: July 2, 2012 adoptable: August 27, 2012 what comes with them: they're neutered, microchipped, wormed, vaccinated, socialized and LOVED
-- on to more STOCKINESS!
Just LOOK at little ROO here --
-- in a dainty way, we'll say she's un-tip-er-over-able -- !!
Next, princess Zazu bounds in to the picture!
As you can see, she REALLY takes after her poppa -- !!
Za is a dark brown / black brindle, on white --
-- just DELECTABLE -- !!
And then, our little stocky boy, Sibby.
Just LOOK at all that's GOING ON here -- !!
Sib shows us he can WALK and smack his LIPS at the same TIME --
-- GOOD BOY -- !!
This little man has some WRINKLES to grow in to, that's for SURE -- !!
Just another parting shot of our little man --
-- so CUTE and so COORDINATED -- !!
-- back to EXPLORIN' --
-- and NOOO, Zazu --
-- this angle does NOT make you look FAT --
-- just HEALTHY -- !!
And then, on to our HALO at left, and ROO -- !!
Those NOSES --
-- those EYES -- !!
And then, here --
-- just everything.
Little high fives to boot -- !!
And Halo's LOOK -- !!
The innocence of these lives is just overwhelming -- !!
More of a front-shot of Halo --
-- she's not the littlest one of the bunch, that's for SURE -- !!
Here's our littlest --
-- baby Roo --
-- with her teethies coming in just FINE, mind you -- !!
And then, just some random angles --
-- here of Zazu...
.. here of Halo...
And then ANOTHER of HALO.
Can you IMAGINE if her little SNOUT stays this SPOTTED??!!
Oh, our beating HEART -- !!
-- posing amongst the vinca!!
And then, baby Roo finds her some wild mustard...
.... then she's on to a leaf --
-- just LOOK at this INNOCENCE here --
-- not a care in the WORLD -- !!
Our petite little PRINCESS!!
-- here, little Sibby has some mustard on his upper LIP -- !!
From the side, he's like a tri-colored LOCOMOTIVE -- !!
-- another play-paw at me -- !!
And then, even his TONGUE is CUTE -- !!
Pretty boy --
-- we'll find you the BEST of homes --
-- that's a PROMISE -- !!
Now, the spotlight is on our pretty Zazu --
-- and as you can see, IMITATION here is a big form of FLATTERY -- !!
With that, Za trots off, happy as a clam I didn't stop her from her chompings -- !!
She even changes direction mid-course -- !!
And speeds up a BIT --
-- notice, "a bit" doesn't mean that MUCH, but we'll give it to her this time -- !!
HAPPY GIRL -- !!
Then, butter-Roo sees her sister, Halo --
-- and here's our little smilin' baby GIRL -- !!
Oh sweetheart, that we can work so hard to get you the best of homes forever --
-- well, that's an honor we're happy to have -- <3
Baby Roo looks a little like Halo --
-- just a little more, umm --
-- FEMININE -- !!
And here, you can see, they ALL look a bit alike --
-- and they certainly THINK alike -- !!
Then, the sweetness of Roo gets down to business --
-- happy girl, though put those TEETH away -- !!
And here, the side-shot of our Halo --
-- thump thump --
-- SOOOO PRETTYYY!!
Next, we run -- !!
-- little Roo is the first one to fall -- !!
And, as we expected, Halo is the leader of the pack -- !!
Just IMAGINE what she'll look like GROWN --
-- she's just THAT pretty!!
-- that tongue --
-- that smile --
-- those EARS -- !!!
So, with that, the frolicking is over --
-- everyone's off to get some water and some shut-eye --
-- in a totally different mood -- !!
-- getttingg vewwwyy sweeeppppyyyy -- !!!
And BOOM, just like that, OUT go the LIGHTS -- !!
Within moments, that babes are transported to foster LEAH'S, and yes, they're off to sleep AGAIN -- !!
Here, with Chey, baby Halo is immediately comfortable and loving --
-- LOVE your HAIR, Chey -- !!
So there we go --
-- mission accomplished --
-- these babies are going to be alright, and have the BEST of lives -- !!
If you're interested in ADOPTING one of them, fill out an ADOPTION APPLICATION at the top of this page.
THANKS FOR THE SMILES, BABIES --
-- and THANKS to LEAH and CHEY for their GREAT fostering of these LOVES!!!
Our family's life in foster, at 6 weeks!!
Things I like in an application:
- Applicants who join our pit bull forum, at www.pbsmiles.com. There, you'll find a small army of pit bull lovers -- 4,500 at the present -- !! For you, the adopter, you can learn about canine diet, pit bull temperaments, multi-dog households, and you can meet a nice group of people. For us, the rescuers, we can see your baby as they grow with you, hearing your stories about them and seeing pictures you post of them in their news lives -- win-win, right??!! PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS PRE-REQUISITE -- it means a lot to us here -- !!
- Adult adopters, ready to be adults. People aware of the responsibility of a puppy, and aware this puppy will become an a medium-sized dog, with its own temperament and personality. Adult adopters who are ready for a 15 year commitment. This puppy does not have a depreciating "useful life" that is over when it becomes an adult -- instead, this dog's whole life is useful -- !!
- Owners who are aware of and who respect the pit bull temperament. This means people who know you can't "love" dog aggression out of their dogs -- instead, owners who are RESPONSIBLE with their pups -- crating them when unattended, supervising them with children, never leaving them outside unattended, and those who are ready for licks and lovin' in return! For more on dog aggression, click here.
- Adopters who treat their newest addition like a member of the family, realizing that this isn't a "dog in the box" and that its little life must be encouraged to go the right path and that obedience, socialization and training will get her there -- !!
- Financial commitment. Adopters willing to spend money on their new investment, including premium foods (like Candidae, Wellness, Nutro or raw food), plus adopters who will invest in pet insurance or a "dog fund", lest vetting be required, which may get expensive.
The adoption fee is $325 per dog. This is reasonable, considering the premium services that each pup gets. Each dog, before placement, is examined by a licensed veterinarian, spayed or neutered, wormed with premium wormer, given vaccinations on a regular basis (not just a one-shot deal), microchipped with a premium Home Again chip (made by Schering-Plough), fed premium raw food (not 'Ol Roy, or some other filler-laden junk) and has spent it's puppy fosterhood in a wonderful, attentive, CLEAN environment. Also, each puppy is accompanied by a personal home visit to YOUR home at placement, to ensure they're going to have the life of a king or queen -- !! If the home visit doesn't pass, puppy doesn't stay. This isn't some parking-lot-of-a-pet-store adoption scheme, instead, it's the highest-quality service I can provide for these young souls, as they journey off in to their lives. Note, too, we have had a recent increase in adoption fees, due to increased veterinary surgery rates.
- Smart and informed adopters, who research this breed and who realize that these pups are not for everyone. Pit bull temperament can be Googled, and a great start can be found here.
Things I shy away from in an application:
- Youth -- sorry kids -- this is a living being, not an iPod!! Young peoples' lives change a lot, and the first thing to get dumped is usually the dog, whether it be on their parents, a friend, etc., who are oftentimes ill-equipped and disinterested in this four-legged life -- then, the dumping or neglect begins.
- Renters. I get calls all the time saying, "Please take my dog -- I moved in to an apartment that doesn't allow them." Ummm -- did you fall asleep in an apartment that allowed them, and then wake up at a new address, in an apartment that doesn't allow them? This isn't magic here -- it's responsibility, and dogs come first. Please don't lie on the application, either -- this will show up in the home-visit -- !!
- Multi-dog households. While I love having many pit bulls, quite a few people aren't ready for the commitment and responsibility it takes to sometimes crate their dogs, rotate them out of the crates and generally own them responsibly. When that happens, I get calls saying, "I have to get rid of one of my dogs ASAP." I can never understand why these people think their lack of planning is all of the sudden my emergency.
- Busy households. Sure, puppies are cute, and they're cuddly, and after they're bathed, they smell nice. But when they grow up in to dogs, and the busy household moves on to their new obsession, the dog, now needing obedience, love and affection, is dumped in the suburban sense. The dog may even live "out on the porch" -- people mention that to me like it's acceptable -- dogs are social beings, and will not flourish in situations of neglect!
- People that call me sounding like gangsters. It happens a lot -- and they never want a spayed or neutered dog. Sorry folks -- this is rescue, not a puppy mill, nor the "syndicate". Also, please don't bother me with requests for "papers" -- last time I checked, no people I knew had "papers", and that didn't make them any less a "person" -- !!