It was late April 2011, and I was at my niece and nephew's confirmation --
-- and I got a frantic call from SPBR's Kristy --
-- she and her fiance were out driving in Central New York, got lost --
-- and came upon a "free pit bull" sign painted on a card table, at the edge of the road.
"Could we take them," she asked --
-- and with some real kindness from her friend, Dolores, willing to foster --
-- we said YES -- !!
Here was the momma --
A BIG lady, on her own -- !!
As you can see, Gab is SWEET as a pea --
-- and she'd been used as a breeder in the past --
We thought she was having a false pregnancy at Dolores' --
-- but were we ever surprised -- !!
And with Gabby came this clown --
He's a roly-poly happy guy --
-- and LOOK at those FOREARMS --
-- what a BRUTE --
-- with a kind, sweet heart -- !!
Both Gab and Pea are up for adoption, too -- !!
Within a few weeks, Gabby became a momma --
-- and because Dolores had them in their own special place with hay as bedding --
-- well, they became the "manger pups" for SPBR -- !!
Within a few weeks, we had these LOVELY little mugs to look at --
-- BLUE EYES and ALL -- !!
So, that said, we recently met up with Kristy and the babes at 5 weeks, and had ourselves a little PARTY!!
Without further ado, Gabby, Peanut and family -- !!
First, the parents...
born: 2009 (we think!) adoptable: July 20, 2011 what comes with them: they're spayed / neutered, microchipped, wormed, vaccinated, socialized and LOVED
Next, the girls...
born: May 23, 2011 adoptable: July 20, 2011 what comes with them: they're spayed, microchipped, wormed, vaccinated, socialized and LOVED
Then, the boys...
born: May 23, 2011 adoptable: July 20, 2011 what comes with them: they're neutered, microchipped, wormed, vaccinated, socialized and LOVED
So, as you can se, the GIRLS all have RACING STRIPES down their nose --
-- the boys are solid colors --
-- and are already stocky little fellas -- !!
Also, those EYES --
-- OMG -- we hope they'll stay blue, but who knows --
-- for now, we'll TAKE 'EM -- !!
Here, little Halo --
-- the most beautiful combination of BINDLE and BLUE -- !!
A little back-time for our boy --
-- and he's GRINNING -- !!
Here, Oscar --
-- you know how I can tell?
Because the littlest of spots on his NOSE -- !!
Next, Ginger --
-- with her straight stripe --
-- mind you, sister Mocha's is a little askew -- !!
And finally, miss Mocha, with the nice, STRONG stripe --
-- you're a beauty, missy -- !!
Our little blue-eyed wonder -- !!
Don't forget, these are baby-babies --
-- full of fun, play and somewhat lacking DISCIPLINE --
-- well, babies are allowed that --
-- obedience can come LATER -- !!
Miss Ginger, again --
-- in all her pink-nosed BEAUTY -- !!
Haha -- this looks like Apollo --
-- with the BEEFIEST of HEADS -- !!
Also, look at the ol' muzzles here --
-- these aren't gonna be long-nosed pups here, people --
-- it's all about the pug-nose -- !!
-- looks like someone is taking his blankie and heading for the HILLS -- !!
Ohhh -- he's BACK --
-- perhaps those pastures weren't actually GREENER in the end -- !!
Chuggin' along --
-- and just LOOK at his chubby rear legs --
-- PRECIOUS -- !!
He RETURNS --
-- in all his CUTENESS -- !!
Miss Mocha --
-- the cameo -- !!
Miss Halo again --
-- with the SLIGHTEST of stripes -- !!
Here's Ginger --
-- in all her light-brindle beauty -- !!
-- with her head sort of TOO BIG for her body --
-- aww, baby -- you'll grow in to it -- !!
More pretty-pants Oscar --
-- with the nose-blip -- !!
Ginger, striking a pose --
-- legs spread WIDE and SOLID -- !!
Here's our Jojo, with two of the chubsters -- !!
Such confidence in these loves --
-- GREAT JOB raising them thus far, Dolores -- !!
Pretty Halo, with the light-brindle coat, TOO -- !!
I caught her --
-- on her back, she goes -- !!
She says, "that was FUN" --
-- but DIFFERENT -- !!
Halo, with her little bowling-ball head -- !!
Oh, those EYES baby --
-- I could get LOST in them -- !!
-- more eye-time -- !!
I'm thinkin', they'll stay BLUE -- !!
"Word UP --
-- they're a beautiful ACCESSORY of me -- !!"
More sun hitting Halo's eyes --
-- just RIGHT -- !!
-- ROARRR -- !!!
I love this picture --
-- you can see me in his little eye -- !!
Here, a happy rescuer Kristy, in the background, with her spoil --
-- one of her rescued babes -- !!
Ginger, confident and a bit bobble-headed -- !!
Mocha, with her big-head almost tipping her OVER -- !!
I offer Moch a little baby-ball --
-- and she obliges -- !!
These babies LOOK worried sometimes, but WORRY isn't in their life, at all --
-- Dolores has given them the BEST of care, and they've already been wormed, and are scheduled for their microchipping and vaccines -- !!
Here, our Laura with another chubster -- !!
-- those eyes are saying a little tirreeedddnessss coming -- !!
Here, my favorite picture of the bunch --
-- the boys, almost POSING -- !!
Ahh, more starry eyes...
... life just seems to stop for a moment, gazing in to his eyes...
More chub and wrinkles with Laura -- !!
Heee heee heeeeeeee!!!
Kristy again, with her CONFIDENT rescue -- !!
More big heads --
-- little bodies --
-- happy babies -- !!
You guessed it --
-- Oscar -- !!
Oscar says --
"Getting vewwwyyyy tweepyyyy"
An in a moment, he's OUT -- !!
... awwww, WRINKLES -- !!!
Ha ha HA --
-- here's a stylin' young man, showing off his NAILS -- !!
Tickles for you, baby -- !!
Ohhh -- a new challenge --
-- the paper box -- !!
Also, the good thing about these loves is that they have PLENTY of PEOPLE socialization --
-- they've been held, loved, fondled a PLENTY -- !!
So, with that, everything becomes --
-- SLEEPY -- !!
-- boom -- !!
Kristy brings the last of the chunks to the blanket...
... and just LOOK a their HAPPY and CHUBBY mugs -- !!
Lights out for Halo -- !!
Mocha finds her nap-place -- !!
Of course, the boys get in a little last playin' before lights are out -- !!
Like two little potatoes -- !!
-- someone's getting vewwwwyyyy tweeeeepyyyy here -- !!
-- again, the boys give everyone a last roll -- !!
Ahh, here, just the beauty of WRINKLES -- !!
Halo, up again, but not for long -- !!
And there we are, princesses and princes in a bunch --
-- these loves are up for adoption on 20 July --
-- and they will go to the best of homes, mind you -- !!
Please don't ask us to place them unaltered --
-- all pups are spayed and neutered before adoption --
-- no question -- !!
And also, we're not looking for cherry pickers here --
-- we want people who are committed to furthering a beautiful life, for the next 15 years --
-- with no dumping, no abandoning, no hitting, etc. --
-- just positive training, love and understanding, please -- !!
So, there we go --
-- because of Kristy's kindness, a family survives --
-- and is much better because of it -- !!
If you're interested in adopting one of these loves, please fill out an adoption application at the top of this page.
We'll review and clarify the application, and if all looks good, from there you'll get a home visit by one of our volunteers.
If you pass that, you've ADOPTED LOVE --
-- and your life will be all the better because of it -- !!
Thank you you Dolores, Kristy and all the other hard-working folks at SPBR for this save --
-- these babies and their parents are absolutely beautiful, and we're so glad they brightened up our spring and summer --
-- GREAT WORK, ALL -- !!
Here's our loves at 5 weeks -- in VIDEO -- !!
Things I like in an application:
- Applicants who join our pit bull forum, at www.pbsmiles.com. There, you'll find a small army of pit bull lovers -- 4,500 at the present -- !! For you, the adopter, you can learn about canine diet, pit bull temperaments, multi-dog households, and you can meet a nice group of people. For us, the rescuers, we can see your baby as they grow with you, hearing your stories about them and seeing pictures you post of them in their news lives -- win-win, right??!! PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS PRE-REQUISITE -- it means a lot to us here -- !!
- Adult adopters, ready to be adults. People aware of the responsibility of a puppy, and aware this puppy will become an a medium-sized dog, with its own temperament and personality. Adult adopters who are ready for a 15 year commitment. This puppy does not have a depreciating "useful life" that is over when it becomes an adult -- instead, this dog's whole life is useful -- !!
- Owners who are aware of and who respect the pit bull temperament. This means people who know you can't "love" dog aggression out of their dogs -- instead, owners who are RESPONSIBLE with their pups -- crating them when unattended, supervising them with children, never leaving them outside unattended, and those who are ready for licks and lovin' in return! For more on dog aggression, click here.
- Adopters who treat their newest addition like a member of the family, realizing that this isn't a "dog in the box" and that its little life must be encouraged to go the right path and that obedience, socialization and training will get her there -- !!
- Financial commitment. Adopters willing to spend money on their new investment, including premium foods (like Candidae, Wellness, Nutro or raw food), plus adopters who will invest in pet insurance or a "dog fund", lest vetting be required, which may get expensive.
The adoption fee is $325 per dog. This is reasonable, considering the premium services that each pup gets. Each dog, before placement, is examined by a licensed veterinarian, spayed or neutered, wormed with premium wormer, given vaccinations on a regular basis (not just a one-shot deal), microchipped with a premium Home Again chip (made by Schering-Plough), fed premium raw food (not 'Ol Roy, or some other filler-laden junk) and has spent it's puppy fosterhood in a wonderful, attentive, CLEAN environment. Also, each puppy is accompanied by a personal home visit to YOUR home at placement, to ensure they're going to have the life of a king or queen -- !! If the home visit doesn't pass, puppy doesn't stay. This isn't some parking-lot-of-a-pet-store adoption scheme, instead, it's the highest-quality service I can provide for these young souls, as they journey off in to their lives. Note, too, we have had a recent increase in adoption fees, due to increased veterinary surgery rates.
- Smart and informed adopters, who research this breed and who realize that these pups are not for everyone. Pit bull temperament can be Googled, and a great start can be found here.
Things I shy away from in an application:
- Youth -- sorry kids -- this is a living being, not an iPod!! Young peoples' lives change a lot, and the first thing to get dumped is usually the dog, whether it be on their parents, a friend, etc., who are oftentimes ill-equipped and disinterested in this four-legged life -- then, the dumping or neglect begins.
- Renters. I get calls all the time saying, "Please take my dog -- I moved in to an apartment that doesn't allow them." Ummm -- did you fall asleep in an apartment that allowed them, and then wake up at a new address, in an apartment that doesn't allow them? This isn't magic here -- it's responsibility, and dogs come first. Please don't lie on the application, either -- this will show up in the home-visit -- !!
- Multi-dog households. While I love having many pit bulls, quite a few people aren't ready for the commitment and responsibility it takes to sometimes crate their dogs, rotate them out of the crates and generally own them responsibly. When that happens, I get calls saying, "I have to get rid of one of my dogs ASAP." I can never understand why these people think their lack of planning is all of the sudden my emergency.
- Busy households. Sure, puppies are cute, and they're cuddly, and after they're bathed, they smell nice. But when they grow up in to dogs, and the busy household moves on to their new obsession, the dog, now needing obedience, love and affection, is dumped in the suburban sense. The dog may even live "out on the porch" -- people mention that to me like it's acceptable -- dogs are social beings, and will not flourish in situations of neglect!
- People that call me sounding like gangsters. It happens a lot -- and they never want a spayed or neutered dog. Sorry folks -- this is rescue, not a puppy mill, nor the "syndicate". Also, please don't bother me with requests for "papers" -- last time I checked, no people I knew had "papers", and that didn't make them any less a "person" -- !!